This course is designed for students who wish to pursue a career as an employed or self-employed makeup artist, providing hair and makeup services in the media, theatre, performing arts, fashion and photographic industries.
You’ll work with employers and undertake meaningful activity throughout this course to gain valuable industry experience.
You’ll develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to provide a wide range of creative make up services in media, theatre and fashion and photographic settings and learn a vast variety of hair styles and understand the related cosmetic science that underpins the subject.
You’ll study a range of topics including:
- Designing and Creating Images for Fashion Shows and Photography Shoots
- Airbrush Make-up
- Face and Body Art
- Cosmetic Camouflage
- Specialised Media Make-up
- The Application of Prosthetic Pieces and Bald Caps
- Special Effects Techniques
- Hair Skills – Creative Hairdressing Design Skills, Styling and Dressing Hair and Fitting Postiche
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Cosmetic Science
- Health and Safety
- Research Skills
- 32 Hours Work Experience over the Academic Year
- English and maths (where applicable)
- Learn in a realistic, modern salon environment
- Learn from industry-experienced and well qualified tutors, many of whom still work in the industry
- Showcase your skills in inter-college competitions and WorldSkills
- Close links with local employers from the industry including local theatre groups, schools and salons
- Guest speakers and masterclasses from successful former students and local employers
- Learn how to network effectively including an online presence on social media
- You’ll you work with amateur operatic and theatre groups as part of your course on location in theatres, fashion shows and many more
- You should hold a previous qualification or experience in Beauty Therapy, Hairdressing or Make-up
- Level 2 Media Make-up
- Successful course interview
- Completion of a summer project as part of the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours of your interview process
- Excellent communication skills and commitment to the course
- Flexibility to work on location in the evenings and on weekends
- Additional qualifications and experience will be considered on an individual basis
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01909 504500.
- HNC/HND in Specialist Make-up
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify for help with fees.
You’ll be expected to purchase a uniform and kit and pay for educational visits which form part of the course.
You must be flexible and able to commit to evening and weekend activities on location assisting with theatre productions, fashion shows and many more.
“I definitely feel that the apprenticeship is preparing me for my future career. I’ve become very confident and comfortable in my role. The support I’ve received from people in the team has been brilliant and they’ve prepared me to work fulltime in the workplace”Stacey McCallum Business Administration Apprenticeship
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024- 25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.