This September, the RNN Group Colleges made up of Rotherham College, North Notts College and Dearne Valley College will be offering T Levels in Construction, Digital, Education and Health.
T Levels, which were launched in 2020, are a new initiative backed by the Government. Our recent blog posts have looked at the difference between T levels and Vocational Courses as well as looking at which route – A Levels or T Levels – a learner should take. This month’s blog answers the question, how will they help you as the learner.
T Levels have been hailed as the ‘the gold standard’ of vocational courses and are new advanced technical level 3 qualifications that are equivalent to 3 A Levels for learners aged 16-19 who have finished their GCSEs. The T Level course is a combination of in-class study and work placement and T Level learners spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the essential skills that your employees need. The other 20% is a meaningful industry placement helping young people develop the knowledge, attitude and practical skills to thrive in the workplace.
T Levels can support employers by offering early access to you – the learner – as part of a talent pipeline for entry-level positions, as well as helping employers with recruitment, improve innovation and increase an organisation’s productivity.
By September 2023, there will be more than 20 T Level courses, covering 11 skill areas and the RNN Group is expanding its T Level offering for September 2024 to ensure more learners can choose T Levels throughout all our colleges: Rotherham College, North Notts College and Dearne Valley College.
Within each course, students develop an understanding of a broad range of issues relevant to the sector, as well as topics specific to the course and an occupational specialism.
T Levels can lead to an Accelerated Apprenticeship, which could offer benefits to both the apprentice and the employer.
Apprentices who have some prior knowledge or skills before starting their apprenticeship can have this recognised as prior learning.
This means the apprentice should be able to complete their programme quicker, as training they are already experienced in, can be removed from their training plan, and doesn’t need to be repeated.
T Levels are an academically rigorous qualification which provides hands-on experience and requires independence in arranging and completing a work placement. This makes them ideal for universities, as well as impressive on CVs when applying for jobs later in life.
T Levels can be a path to anywhere in life and are intended to be a well-rounded qualification that equals A Levels in merit and academic success.
Once a learner has completed a T Level course, they will be able to progress onto a skilled occupation, a higher or degree level apprenticeships or continue with further study including Higher Technical Qualifications or Higher Education.
We know it is confusing deciding what route to take post 16, however, it is important that learners talk with careers advisers in their current place of education and find out what is right for them. Additionally, talk to staff about your options when you visit other education providers on an open day, taster day or personal tour. They can advise on the right course of action for you and your interests, subjects areas you love alongside any career aspirations you may have at this early stage.
For more information on our T Levels visit:
For more information on our Study programmes Levels 1-3 courses visit:
For more information on Apprenticeships: